Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Recycled Pillow Dog Bed


My dogs like to come into my studio and lie around my feet when I’m working on projects. But they don’t always appreciate a cold floor in the winter. Last summer I purchased some remnant fleece found in the clearance corner at Hobby Lobby. Courtesy of a long holiday weekend, I found an hour to sew it for a dog bed cover.
The piece I purchased was 60” wide and 1 yard long. It made approximately a 30” x 36” dog bed after I folded the fabric in half. It was large enough to cover two king-size pillows. Other than making sure all edges were straight, there isn’t any cutting involved. One 60” edge was folded over about ½” and sewn. That gave the cover a finished opening. Then with right sides together, the fabric was folded in half so the selvages met. The bottom and one side seam were sewn. The cover was then turned right side out, and I added 4 toggle buttons and crochet rings to opposite sides of the opening. The pillows were stuffed inside.
Viola! Inexpensive, washable dog bed. (And no guilt because I repurposed 2 not-so-nice pillows)
The Project Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment