Monday, October 21, 2013

Patio Cushion Makeover



Before and After

Retailers and manufacturers may want society to always buy new things or replacements, but there are times it just isn’t feasible or cost effective. Not to mention the waste created.

I have a glass top table and four chairs made for outdoor use. The chair cushions that came with the set weren’t very exciting to begin with, so it was already in the back of my mind to do something with them. This past winter I didn’t get them put away fast enough. Tools and other materials required for a major electrical repair ended up on my patio set, which resulted in some dirt and rust stains on a couple of my cushions. When spring arrived, I did clean the cushions. I just couldn’t get all of the stains out.

I started searching for new cushions. My chairs need deep seat cushions which tend to start at $30 apiece and go up from there. The cushions I liked the most were $50+ apiece. I couldn’t justify spending that much money on a patio set that was purchased for $100 (including the cushions).

Fortunately, there weren’t any tears in the fabric of the original cushions. Craft paint became my cushion savior. I opted for a basic acrylic paint in a color called “Apple Tart”, instead. It does make the fabric a bit stiff, but I chose it partly to keep the cost down. Fabric paints are more expensive, and they rarely come in larger bottles. I used 2 ½ bottles, in a 16 oz. size, of the green paint. It was thinned with a bit of water before being applied to the cushions with a large sponge brush and was applied on all sides first. Even though I planned to keep the piping brown, I didn’t worry about getting the green paint on it. After a few years outside, the color had faded. I also wanted a darker brown than the original. On the first 3 cushions, I didn’t do any masking next to the piping while painting it, which did mean some touch ups. I decided to take the extra time with the last cushion. As a time saver it’s probably a bust. On the other hand, I didn’t feel like I had to be super careful only to have to cover mistakes anyway.

The vertical design down the center of the cushions is on the front side only. It’s a Moroccan tile pattern that’s easy to find on the internet. I scaled it to 4” wide by 4 ¼” tall before printing it. I made 1 and ½ of the template. I did an initial measurement to find the center of the cushions. Starting at the top, the ½ template was placed in the center and traced with a dark brown Sharpie. Then the full template was lined up with it and traced. Just keep moving the template down one full repeat until the design reaches the bottom edge of the seat cushion. To keep the design centered, use a pencil to mark the cushion with occasional tick marks from top to bottom. If you’re filling in the design with paint, no one will see them. Depending on the design and its size, it’s easiest to paint it with a brush called an angular shader. The paints I used in the center were metallic sapphire blue and emerald green.

I opted to do a top coat of iridescent glaze on the cushions to take a bit of the rough feel off the acrylic paint. Plus I like the bit of added sparkle. The glaze color is called “Gold Satin Opal”, made by Valspar. (The product may not be available anymore. I got my last bottle off the “oops” paint shelf with a clearance price more than a year ago. However, there may a similar product that comes in a can. I haven’t investigated it yet.) Since I didn’t want the metallic colors in the center design muted, they were done after the glaze was applied.

By this point some may be wondering why this project is being posted now. I didn’t get the opportunity to start working with my cushions until summer arrived. (Curtains for my gazebo were made during the spring.) Like many projects it took me longer than I planned. I’m just now finishing up the last cushion. (Plenty of other things have been done in between.) Since I live in Texas, there will be a bit of time this fall to enjoy my handiwork before the cushions need to be put away. My recommendation for anyone considering a makeover is to do it during the winter. When the outdoor living merchandise starts showing up in stores again, you won’t feel the need to replace those chair cushions that are now uniquely yours.

The Project Queen

My supplies

 The templates

No comments:

Post a Comment