Sunday, November 17, 2013

Mini Strawberry Fields Forever



They don't look like much yet, but there are a dozen strawberry plants
in this planter.

Perhaps it isn’t the most original title for a blog post, but it’s the best I can come up with at 9 p.m.

After having the planter in my possession for almost 2 months, I finally got something planted in it yesterday. (It’s called a Patio Picker, and I got it at Lowes in case you’re wondering.) Originally, I bought it with the intention of planting saffron crocus in it. After reading the instructions, I wasn’t sure they would like it, so they ended up in something else.

The Patio Picker has very specific instructions for the planting medium, and when I finally got the appropriate materials I planned to put some of my cold-weather veggie plants in it. Alas, I’m a little slow getting some of my seeds started. A few days ago, when I visited the small store one of my favorite local farmers operates, I came across the last package of strawberry crowns they had available. I snagged them, and in what is probably a record for me, I actually got them planted in less than a week.

The planter I’m using for the strawberries is new to me. If pushed to describe it, I would say it’s a small, sort-of hydroponic kit. I believe I paid about $30 for mine. For those who think they may want to try this product for container vegetable gardening, make sure all the contents of the kit are there, especially the instruction sheet. Besides specifics on the required planting materials, there are illustrated instructions. I followed the instructions for filling the container, but left off the casters since it’s sitting on a bed of crushed granite. I also opted not to use the cover that comes with the planter. Instead, I mulched around my plants with hay left-over from my bunnies. (I don’t give them the pulverized stuff at the bottom of the package. It’s a pain in the rear to remove it from their long hair.)

I plan to give the strawberries at least a few weeks to see how they like their new home. In the meantime, I hope to get cabbages and some other brassica seeds started. If the strawberries do well, I’ll go get a few more Patio Pickers. My husband and I have also been looking into vertical growing systems since they can be great space savers. If we find something we like, those may make an appearance here, too.

The following pictures show the supplies I used for my Patio Picker. The bag shown by itself is also known as dolomite. (It’s not in a re-sealable bag, so I couldn’t lay it on the ground with the other packages.) You will also notice a water bottle. I used it to moisten the peat moss as I filled the planter. There is a water reservoir at the bottom of the planter, and you will want the planting medium to be moist enough to start wicking the water up to your plants. However, since there are no drainage holes at the bottom, you won’t want the soil to be super-saturated.

If anyone has tried one of these planters, or something similar, indoors, I would be interested in finding out how it worked for you.

Happy fall and winter gardening.

The Project Queen



March 2014: These are the strawberries planted last fall.
They've been blooming despite the cold weather we had recently.
In a few more days, I should have some ripe berries I can photograph.
So far, I'm satisfied with the Patio Picker.
I'm considering a second one so I can double the size of my strawberry "patch".

No comments:

Post a Comment