Sunday, February 23, 2014

Loaded Leek & Potato Soup



I love soup, and potato is a favorite. Let’s face it. There are so many different versions - basic creamy; leek & potato; loaded baked potato; potato & broccoli; to name a few – so how could you possibly grow tired of it?

The beauty of soup is its flexibility. There is nothing wrong with following a tried and true recipe. But what if you don’t have an ingredient? Or perhaps you’re in the mood to experiment. Soup can handle it. And who knows? You may find a new darling.

Leek and potato is a version I’ve wanted to try for some time. I have a copy of the cookbook “From Julia Child’s Kitchen.” After reading her rapturous description of the classic French version, why wouldn’t you want to savor it? Well, maybe someday I will. I actually bought some leeks to make soup. However, when I decided to make it, instead of opening the cookbook, I started pulling out some of my favorite potato soup ingredients. When I finished my soup, it only had 3 ingredients in common with Julia’s – leeks, potatoes & dairy. Though it may be bragging, I have to say I was quite pleased with myself when I tried it. I enjoyed a second bowl. Bacon does have the reputation of making any dish better. Although I think it was the smoked paprika, along with a generous amount of black pepper that took it over the top. Until you’ve had smoky potato soup with a bit of attitude, you haven’t lived. Of course, this is just my opinion.

The following is a list of ingredients. There aren’t any measurements because making soup is about freedom, baby, yeah!

In order of appearance:
3 Leeks
3 Potatoes (I like Yukon Gold)
2 Slices of Bacon, diced
Potato Starch (optional)
Unsalted Chicken Broth
Whole Milk
Grated Parmesan
Parsley, minced
Pepper
Nutmeg
Smoked Paprika
Start by prepping your vegetables. Fill 2 bowls with cold water. Cut the tops and root ends off the leeks. Slice in half lengthwise then horizontally into ¼” strips. Place the cut leeks into one bowl of cold water to remove any dirt between the layers. Peel and dice your potatoes into your favorite soup size and put into the other bowl of water. (Putting potatoes in water does remove starch, which isn’t a big deal for creamy soups, but you want your prep done before you start cooking. If left sitting in the air, peeled potatoes can turn a rather unpleasant color.) Begin cooking by putting the diced bacon in your soup pot. Let it cook until the fat renders out. Use a spider or small strainer to remove the leeks from their bath. (You want to keep the dirt at the bottom of the bowl.) Add the leeks to the bacon. When they’re translucent, you can add the thickener of your choice, just enough to coat the bacon and leeks. Pour about 2 c. of chicken broth into the pan. Stir well to make sure there are no thickener lumps. The potatoes can now join the party. Pour in enough milk to cover everything, plus a little extra. The amount you use depends on how much liquid you like. Steam coming from the pot is an indication that it’s warm enough to melt cheese. I had a chunk of Parmesan so I grated it directly into the soup. Sliced cheese can be used too. Grated just melts faster. After the cheese is melted add the remaining ingredients. Do the spices in smaller increments and taste. Your soup is finished when you’re satisfied with the results.
Note: You will probably add salt. Just wait until everything is in the pot before you do. Bacon and cheese both provide salt. Treat the same as the spices, small amount at a time. Think you might a like Southwestern vibe? Use Chipotle Chile Powder instead of smoked paprika, or a wee spoonful of Adobo Sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment