Saturday, June 22, 2013

Dry Pet Shampoo


It might be more appropriate to call this “deodorizer”, but regardless of the name, this is something I concocted because I couldn’t get my hands on a powder shampoo without ordering it.
If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know I recently acquired 2 long-haired rabbits. My, EA, Angus, has been kind of naughty lately. He’s relocating his litter box and not always using it. Perhaps he’s getting back at me for his “alteration” surgery. Bunnies can develop serious skin problems if left in their wet messes, so not cleaning him up isn’t an option. However, bathing him or using waterless spray shampoo isn’t an option either. His summer haircut is growing out, and that super-fine, oh-so-soft hair doesn’t respond well to moisture of any kind. It mats and creates a grooming nightmare. Plus, it takes forever to get him completely dry. While blow dryers are often used on Angora rabbits, you have to be careful not to use a hot setting.
When searching for a powder shampoo, I found it kind of frustrating that the product ingredients weren’t listed. I had a particular concern about added fragrance. While I do like all my pets to smell nice, they don’t need to be exposed to synthetic materials that may be harmful. Rabbits, like cats, groom themselves. They are delicate creatures, so bunny owners have to be careful about what their precious babies are exposed to.
Since I wasn’t satisfied with my dry shampoo search, I did what I usually do when I can’t find something I want. I took matters into my own hands (and kitchen). This would be considered a small batch, but since it was an experiment, I decided to start with smaller amounts. Plus, there are only 3 ingredients. You can’t get much simpler.
¼ c. Baking Soda
¼ c. Oatmeal
Lavender Essential Oil
Put the baking soda and oatmeal into a small food processor or coffee/spice grinder. (Make sure it’s very clean with no residues. I would recommend a grinder dedicated just to this if you have room for it.) Process until the oatmeal is ground into powder or at least very small pieces. If necessary, use a funnel to put the shampoo in the container of your choice. For those who choose to add a fragrance, put about a third of the powder into the container, add 2-3 drops of essential oil, close the container and shake. Continue the process until all the powder is in the container. I didn’t use an actual measurement for the Lavender oil, but I would say no more than 1/8 tsp. for the entire bottle. Essential oils are pure, concentrated substances extracted from their plant sources. They’re potent, and it doesn’t take much.
Part of the point of this project was to use things I already had in the house. That includes the bottle I put my finished shampoo into. Do you buy the fancy dried herbs and spices that come in those spiffy glass bottles? Save the bottles when empty, especially if they come with lids that have shaker holes. You never know when another use can be found for them. Before using my bottle, I put it in a saucepan of boiling water. That helped loosen the glue of the label and removed any residue from the caraway seeds it contained.
Here are a few notes and some cautions concerning the ingredients I chose for this particular batch.
 Because I’m dealing with rabbit pee, which is not only stinky but caustic, baking soda was chosen to deodorize and neutralize. It’s also much less likely to clump when it comes in contact with moisture, unlike cornstarch. The oatmeal was included for its soothing and absorbant qualities.
Your dry shampoo can certainly be fragrance free. I chose Lavender essential oil not only because I adore the scent, but because of its reputation for being soothing, and its potential healing properties, such as being antibacterial. If you opt to add a scent, do not use synthetic products, period. They may be cheaper, but you won’t necessarily know what they contain. That small bottle of essential oil will go a long way. Mine usually lasts me a year or two. It’s also becoming much easier to find now. Many grocery stores are becoming increasingly aware of public interest in natural products. The stores that have a decent size natural products section will most likely have essential oils stocked there. (Most of these departments aren't too far from the pharmacy.) Now, here’s the caution part. Before you choose any product, do your research to make sure the properties of the oil suit your purposes. Start with reputable websites, such as colleges of medicine. Did you choose an oil you’ve never used before? Test a small amount on yourself first, say the inside of your arm. No reaction? Test a small drop on your pet. Dogs, with their naked tummies are easy. Cats and rabbits with dense coats and no naked areas? Not so much. Try to get to the skin on the inside of a leg. The hair is a little thinner there.
One more caveat. I’m not going to promise that dry shampoo is neat and tidy when you use it. It might be a great deodorizer, but don’t use it in carpeted areas if you have doubts about vacuuming it up. Be conservative in the amount you use. You may not need as much as you think. After rubbing into a pet coat, it will need to be brushed out, especially if using on long-haired pets. (That doesn’t mean you can’t leave it in for a little while, to work its magic.) When I have to freshen up my bunnies, I park their booties on an old towel to keep the powder somewhat contained. Most of the shampoo shakes out when I’m done. Any small amount still in the towel won’t hurt the washing machine. A plastic tub or storage container large enough to keep your pet contained would be a good option too.
Please leave a comment if you try this recipe. If you use a different essential oil, let me know what you chose and why. Curious minds are always willing to be educated.
The Project Queen
Not all bottled herbs and spices come with this lid.
But it's handy for "portion control" of your shampoo.


This is not an endorsement of a particular brand. It just happens to be easily found where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment