Monday, July 10, 2017

Single Serve Cold-Brew Coffee

No, there isn’t mud in my coffee maker.
Turns out it works well for making single serve cold-brewed coffee.

Like many people I developed a fondness for iced coffee a few years ago. I generally enjoy it more when the weather is hot, and definitely prefer to use cold-brewed coffee when I make it. While making cold-brewed coffee isn’t particularly complicated, it does take a commitment of counter space and time. Brewing it strong enough to be diluted with ice means planning ahead. It’s usually recommended to allow the grounds to steep at least a day. Then it takes some time to strain it. If you’re the only one drinking it, a larger batch may last anywhere from a few to several days. Not bad for a little bit of work. But still not as convenient as just brewing some coffee in a coffee maker.

This year, as the weather got hotter, I resisted making cold-brewed coffee. I just didn’t want to mess with it. For those so inclined, you can purchase systems for cold-brewing coffee. As a general rule, I don’t necessarily like to buy a lot of specialized equipment for my kitchen. Not too long ago, I cleared out some cabinets and would prefer to keep clutter to a minimum. Cold brewed coffee is not something I make year-round. So it seems kind of silly to buy a product solely for that purpose. I have a couple of 4 qt. glass batter bowls, with lids, I’ve used for the large batches. A wire mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter and placed over the storage pitcher did the job of straining. This past weekend the craving became too much. However, I still didn’t want to make a large batch. I also didn’t want to go to the coffee shop, on a shopping trip, or wait for a single-serve brewing device to be delivered. I just wanted some iced coffee with a minimum of effort.

Guess what? You can make a single serving of cold brew coffee in a standard drip coffee maker. Just leave the machine unplugged. (Not talking about the K-cup brewers here. Think “old fashioned” Mr. Coffee type.) Our coffee maker basket & coffee filters will hold 10 -12 oz., or 1 ¼ - 1 ½ cups of water. This works best with a coffee maker that allows you to remove the pot while brewing. When setting up, taking the pot off the coffee maker is the first thing I do. A filter is placed in the basket, then I add 4 tbsp. of coffee grounds. The water is poured into the basket at a steady rate. Taking your time, just a little bit, means you’re less likely to overfill the coffee filter. After I let the grounds steep for a while, the pot is returned to its place under the basket.

The first batch I made in the coffee maker steeped for about 2 hours. It made a decent enough batch that I concluded this was a viable option for getting my iced coffee with a minimum of fuss. At least 4 hrs. is probably long enough for smaller amounts of ice. A steeping time of 8 hrs. or a bit longer will make it strong enough for those who like lots of ice. To make sure it is already chilled when ready to drink it, I started setting up a batch late in the morning, draining it into the pot in the evening, then placing it in the refrigerator overnight. I recommend putting it in the container you plan to drink it from, before it goes into the fridge. It’s not a good idea for another member of the household to use a chilled coffee pot if they want to make hot coffee in the morning.

Do you make coffee with pour-over equipment? Pour-over is our preferred method for making coffee when we travel with our trailer, since the stovetop kettle helps keep our use of electricity to a minimum. Our pour-over filters aren’t breakable and take less storage space than a drip coffee maker. A pour-over filter will make a dandy strainer. They’re just not designed to hold water for a long period of time. Using the filters for cold-brewed coffee stumped me until I recalled my collection of Bonne Maman jam jars. We don’t travel with a lot of glass, but a couple of coffee steeping jars in a well-packed refrigerator will be fine. Otherwise, I know there are a couple of Karl’s stainless steel Thermos canisters still lurking in a kitchen cabinet. (Nice heavy ones which are hard to find now. He used to take them hunting.) They will probably be easier to pour from without making a mess on the countertop.

The Project Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment